This is a brief review of Tamil Virtual Academy’s website. I hope this would help the authorities concerned while redesigning their website.
This review considers the following factors:
- Government websites don’t get a design update often. So, any grand redesign effort should stay good enough for another 5 to 10 years.
- Government websites may not have a generous budget to hire world class web designers and might rely on in-house talent or designers from agencies like NIC.
With this in mind, I would request the following changes and features while doing a redesign.
- English and Tamil versions of the website should be separated to separate pages. Having both in the same page adds to the clutter and confused navigation.
- Responsive design – Site is almost unusable from any smart phone. Usage in tablet is somewhat OK. With the increased use of hand held devices, the redesign should cater to all screen sizes.
- Better inbuilt search will help. Or at least, each HTML page should have proper SEO title, description. A site search like this using the Google Search provided, gives many unintelligible search results all titled அடுத்த பக்கம்.
- Consistent look and feel – The site has different backgrounds, navigation for different pages. For example, check this and this with the homepage. The look and feel, navigation should be made consistent.
- Restructured Navigation – It is very hard to find what we need. The navigation is cluttered and follows no logic. Navigation should be restructured based on the sitemap design.
- Most accessed features like Library, Dictionary, Font download should be showcased prominently.
- All text available in the site should be indexed by Google. This is a major change that will bring more visitors.
- Back and front navigation using browser buttons is not working well in iPad (iOS7)
- Orphaned pages like this should be linked to relevant pages. Universal navigation should be always available.
- Remove Flash and other such outdated technology and replace it with latest technologies (example: HTML5 video players).
- Outsource materials for sale to professional e-commerce shops. Makes it easy for buyers, reduces work load for TVA and may get more sales too.
Do you have any feedback? Please share your comments. Thanks.
Yes. Most of the time Govt. websites will not get redesign. But I’m happy because, http://tamilvu.org/ is up and running most of the time.
iwant periya puraana urai
Comments are closed.