List of websites giving English – Tamil dictionaries for free online.
1. Tamil Wiktionary – Tamil Wiktionary is a Multi lingual – Tamil dictionary. It has more than One lakh words with a focus on technical glassary prepared by Tamil virtual University. This is a free to edit dictionary. So you can improve the pages by adding correct meaning, pronunciation, images etc.,
2. DSAL dictionaries – Digital South Asia Library is a portal for Tamil’s oldest dictionaries. It is a treasure house for Tamil lovers. Gives meanings for Tamil words found in literature.
List of dictionaries in this portal:
abricius, Johann Philipp. J. P. Fabricius’s Tamil and English dictionary. 4th ed., rev.and enl. Tranquebar: Evangelical Lutheran Mission Pub. House, 1972.
Kadirvelu Pillai, Na. Tamil Moli Akarathi. N. Kathiraiver Pillai’s Tamil Moli Akarathi: Tamil-Tamil dictionary = Na. Kathiraiver Pillayin Tamil Moliyakarati: Tamil-Tamil akarathi. 6th ed., rev. and enl. Cennai: Pi. Ve. Namacivaya Mutaliyar.
McAlpin, David W. A core vocabulary for Tamil. Rev. ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Dept. of South Asia Regional Studies, University of Pennsylvania, 1981.
University of Madras. Tamil lexicon. [Madras]: University of Madras, 1936-
Winslow, Miron. A comprehensive Tamil and English dictionary of high and low Tamil. Madras: P.R. Hunt, 1862.
3. Pals e-dictionary – English-Tamil dictionary from Palaniappa brothers.
4. Tamil Virtual University Dictionaries – Has a flashy interface and inbuilt Tamil typing tool.
5. க்ரியாவின் தற்காலத் தமிழ் அகராதி – Tamil – Tamil – English dictionary for contemporary Tamil words by Kriya.
6. Free online Tamil – Tamil – English dictionary from Lifco.
More English – Tamil dictionaries are out there. Which one do you use often?