Tamil Literature Magazines Websites :
1. Uyirmai ( உயிர்மை )
Besides hosting the printed உயிர்மை magazine, Uyirmmai has a column / blog page by its publisher Manushyaputhiran. The site also offers online shopping to buy Tamil books published by Uyirmai.
2. Kalachuvadu ( காலச்சுவடு )
காலச்சுவடு provides a very valuable archive of all it’s monthly publications. It is one of the very well designed Tamil magazine portals.
Continue reading “Tamil Literature Magazines Websites”
Is there a (free) English – Tamil translation software for download / online?
The answer is YES. Visit Google Translate for translating Tamil to and from many languages. This is an alpha version so you may not get the best result always.
There are some long running machine based translation research projects at Universities. But none have given usable product yet. Google is the first to offer translation services for tamil. They also give a translation toolkit that can be used for any language. Wikibhasha is another translation toolkit for Wikipedia developed by Microsoft. Right now thier efficiency for Tamil translation is very rudimentary. It is supposed to get better when more users use it.
Google says that it can bring better automatic machine based translation for Tamil too, if it can get millions of pages of documents with English and Tamil translation side by side. One place where such translated documents may reside with the legal department of the country. It’s in the Government’s hands to give them for public research if not to a private company like Google.
* கூகுள் தானியிங்கித் தமிழாக்கம்
* English to Tamil translation freelancer resources
* English to Tamil dictionary websites
List of Tamil Text to Speech synthesizer tools. All these software can be downloaded or used for free:
1. Tamil Text to Speech tool from MILE lab, IISc – This converter is a recent invention by Dr. A. G. Ramakrishnan and his group. Kudos for them. The converter is in beta stage and exceeded my expectation in its quality.
2. Dhvani – The conversion quality is not as good as software from MILE lab, IISc. But Dhvani is a free software for Linux that can be used offline and provides support for many Indian languages.
Continue reading “Tamil Text to Speech software tools”
Tamil Typing software for computers and mobile phones:
1. NHM Writer – The ultimate tamil typing software I recommend. Works in Windows only.
2. Ekalappai – One of the earliest and most used Tamil typing software. Now released as an open source software. Currently supports Tamil99, Phonetic, Typewriter, Bamini and Inscript keyboard layouts.
Continue reading “Tamil Typing software”
List of websites where you can buy Tamil books online:
1. NHM – Kizhakku Padhippagam – Online shop of the leading Tamil publication house Kizhakku Padhippagam (கிழக்குப் பதிப்பகம் ). Offers free shipping within India if you buy for more than INR 250. It’s the only Tamil publication whose books are available in Amazon.com . I have ordered books from theme and found their service good.
2. Flipkart – Tamil books collection from India’s leading online books store. I have bought from them many times and they continue to amaze me. They update and deliver you with a precision of dropping a nuclear bomb !
Continue reading “Buy Tamil Books Online”